With the Summer looming and a holiday fund to save for, we have decided it's all about cooking it for yourself! So I got snugly on the sofa with stacks of cook books to find myself something a little more interesting than scrambled egg or a bacon sandwich (although both oh so delicious!).
That's when I came across Jamie Oliver's Chili Eggy Crumpets! Not something I have ever thought to do before but now I have, I feel like I have seriously missed out! A much better version of eggy bread with a kick from the chili and the perfect combination of smokey bacon and sweet maple syrup.
Roll on next weekend I say...!
You Need (serving 2)...
2 large free-range eggs
Freshly ground black pepper
1 fresh red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
6 rashers of smoked bacon
4 round crumpets
Maple syrup, to serve
1. Crack your eggs into a bowl and whisk with a small pinch of salt and pepper and the chopped chili.
2. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and fry the bacon in a small amount of olive oil. Let it crisp up on both sides.
3. Meanwhile, get your crumpets and push them into the egg and chili mixture. Turn them a few times to make sure they've soaked up lots of the egg mixture.
4. Push the crisp bacon to one side and tilt the pan so the fat runs into the middle. Add the crumpets and fry for a few minutes until golden, turn and do the same to the other side.
5. Serve topped with crispy bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup!
A seriously amazing at-home brunch...believe me - we demolished it in seconds!